Friday, June 2, 2017

On Being Left-Handed

What being a "Southpaw" is really like.

nito100 via Getty Images
 Though we are only 10 percent of the population, we pack a mean left hook.

 Being left-handed. It's one of those daily difficulties I face any time I unlock a door, or, parish the thought, use scissors. Why, I ask, must everything be made for right-handers?

 Scissors, as I mentioned earlier, are made to provide torture to our small community. Even "left-handed" scissors are made for right-handers, because someone usually forgets that not only the handle, but also the blades must be reversed.

 We were disliked in most history, often accused for being evil, in fact, we get our word sinister from the Latin for left-handed.

 The struggle is real, so let me enlighten you.

 A typical day's fight begins like this: I jump in the car, put my coffee cup in the holder, and get ready for take off. But wait a second! The ignition is on the right side. Oh well, I'll just use the right-hand brain converter to fix it (hopefully it's working today).

 Okay, made it to school, now off to class. Now I'm in class, time for notes. Writing with my favourite blue pen. Ah! The dreaded giant smudge mark is all over my hand. It will go away soon, won't it? Writing, teacher talking, more notes. Bump! "Sorry, I didn't see your elbow there. Yes I'm left-handed. No I'm not more creative, please just let me take notes."

 I need water. Oh! I brought my water bottle today. Now is it lefty loosey righty tighty, but whose left is it? I'm turning it left, it's not budging. Must be the other direction. Finally, it's open! I wonder if right-handers have troubles with that one? Wait! Why are you writting like that! It looks so unnatural. Never mind, that's your dominant hand.

 Wow, I just found another lefty in my class! Why didn't I sit next to them the first day of class, then I wouldn't be bumping into this guy. Oh no! I have to use scissors now! Right-handed, right. Well, here it goes. This isn't so bad, at least I'm on the lines. Why is everyone else done already, oh that's why. It would be so much easier if I was right-handed. What I'm saying, I love being left-handed, don't I? Well, maybe not all the time but most the time.

 This is what runs through my head almost every day.

  It does have it's pros. For instance, according to Dr.Christian Jarrett of Psychology Today, there does seem to be a greater advantage in sports, mainly because it disorients right-handed opponents. There is also an instant connection between lefties that I have experienced nowhere else. When you discover another lefty, you know that they have been through the same struggles as you have.
 I now possess this strange habit of scanning my general area for fellow left-handers. If there is one, I feel pride. Sometimes I even go over to talk with them about the great struggle and advantage of being left-handed.

 I apologize to the right-handers of the world, because it probably seems like us left-handers do nothing but complain, or try to make excuses for why we're better. We're not better, but sometimes to get through the difficult things we need to take our spoon of sugar.

 We are not alone though. There are many celebrities who are lefties, including Angelina Jolie, Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lawrence, just to name a few. Not to mention the eight U.S. presidents that bore this badge of honour.

 For those lefies reading this now, we're all in this together. I mean it; we'll get through. Resist the urge to try right-handedness. Be who you are, for you are amazing the way you write.

It's tough being a southpaw, but I wouldn't change it for the world.


At a Glance:
MTV: 23 Left-handed Celebs Who Know How To Live In a Right-Handed World.

Psychology Today: Three Myths and Three Facts About Left-Handers

Thoughtco: Left Handed U.S. Presidents




No comments:

Post a Comment